By Dave Wenhold
What is known about the USF situation:
- The USF reform issue is not going away anytime soon.
- Congress and the FCC want aspects of the Fund fixed.
- The big Telcos want the fund to be shifted from a revenue-based solution (as it is now) to a numbers-based solution.
- The revenue-based solution is calculated on a percentage of your long-distance charges. This fee is subject to change quarterly and is running at approximately 11 percent right now. The numbers-based solution can mean a charge of $1.20 to $1.60 per month on every telephone number that you use, including DID numbers.
- We will continually need to have our voices heard and a solution prepared when the stakeholders ask for our position.
- ATSI’s visits on the Hill and at the FCC have demonstrated that our message is viable, timely, and well received.
- Our industry members must become proficient in our message points so we are all on the same page.
- We need the help of every industry member to take action.
Dave Wenhold is a partner at Miller/Wenhold Capitol Strategies; visit firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
[From Connection Magazine – March 2008]