Reported by Mike Leibowitz
The Canadian Call Management Association (CAM-X) celebrated its 40th anniversary at its Annual Meeting and Trade Show in Niagara Falls from October 20-23. CAM-X had a banner year in 2003-2004 under president Lil Lyle, adding new members and services.
Chaired by Barbara Bradbury, the annual meeting encompassed social and educational activities. Delegates were treated to a (cold and wet) boat ride under Niagara Falls and tours of local attractions. One of the highlights was a dinner at the Peller Estates Winery, sponsored by Amtelco.
Educational programs included:
- Contracts by Gary Pudles (AnswerNet)
- Errors and Omissions Insurance by Peter Currie (the Hub Group)
- VoIP by Ian Pattinson (Sprint Canada) and Mike Shantz (Northern Communication Services Inc.)
- Contact Management by John Ratliff (the Appletree Group)
- Outbound services by Marc Bombenon (PDL Mobility and Call Centre)
- Remote Operators by Jaime Lee (ACT Telecom)
- Niche Markets by John Whitehead (Northern Communication Services Inc.)
Delegates had a chance to look at the newest offerings from Industry vendors: Amtelco, Capri Insurance, Image in Design, Primus Telecommunications, Professional Teledata, Select International, Startel, Szeto Technologies, Telescan, and Windows to Technologies.
Winners of the Award of Excellence and Award of Distinction programs received their plaques at a special luncheon. [The recipients were listed in the November issue of Connections Magazine.]
The Conference culminated in a gala banquet on Saturday. The evening’s events included recognition of CAM-X’s seven ‘Mothers of Invention.’ The honorees – pioneers of the industry – are women who started their businesses in the 1940s to 1960s in the true spirit of service to their clients. The awards went to Mary Anglesey, Florence Blair, Renee Baker, Gloria Brooker, Barbara Clausen, Dolly Lloyd, and Murielle Andreatini Bosse.
The Saturday dinner also marked the culmination of CAM-X’s successful effort to raise $20,000 to support Breast Cancer Research. Thanks to Brad Swift (Amtelco) and Brad French (Alliance Wireless) who donated their hair. The head shaving was broadcast on a local radio station MIX 99.9 and the goal was reached.
CAM-X also announced their Board of Directors for 2004-2005:
- President: Cindy Roma (Telelink – The Call Centre, Newfoundland)
- Past President/Treasurer: Lillian Lyle (Connections Call Center, British Columbia)
- 1st VP: Pat Voss (Valley Communications Ltd., Alberta)
- 2nd VP: Michael Leibowitz (Professional Answering Service, South Carolina)
- Gary Blair (Tele-Page, Quebec)
- Kelly Doran (Simcoe Message Center, Ontario)
- Patty Anderson, Vendor Representative (Telescan)
- Linda Osip, Executive Director
[From Connection Magazine – December 2004]